girl

dalena | 25 | counting fancies
fmps/rgps/nygh/rjc/smu (biz)
a dancer with mosaic
working at the learning lab
4th feb 1986
dalena@gmail.com
clearing out her wardrobe


wordplay

adeline
amanda
amelia
beatrice
boons
chiew
colin
cordelia
daphne
eileen
eric & serene
felicia
gillian
haihan
jamie
jayne
jianfu
jill
joanne claire
marc
mark
miche
qiqi
sam
sheila
shuwen
sze
weiming
winnie heng
winnie png
yaxin
yvonne

destinations

desktop tower defence
dollmaker
gssq
go fug yourself
hollyjean
kenny sia
mr brown
oh no they didn't
orisinal
photohunt
pink is the new blog
postsecret
the butterfly tales
the superficial
tomorrow.sg
xiaxue

history



tagboard

credits

layout: detonatedlove♥
pictures: ohhspontaneityy
stocks: _excentric_
hits:


Tuesday, July 26, 2005
9:15 pm

Slacking time (again).


...and so my short stint as an exhibitor at Suntec City ended yesterday. Yay to the friends who dropped by to say hello and relieve me of my boredom for a little while! :)

I am utterly broke - but the knowledge that my pay will soon be coming in cheers me up a little. The sales in Suntec were /crazy/ in the 11 days that I was there for - too bad there weren't more shops there, because in terms of the shopping scene, it still has a long, long way to go. After walking up and down that stretch repeatedly for days with various people, I have this mini-map of Suntec City stretched out in my head, complete with a set of directions for each and every shop and restaurant there. So, if you ever get lost there, you know who to call...at least for the next week or so, before my goldfish-memory-syndrome kicks in again.

On the whole, the HeritageFest was fun - though it had its share of icky times - like when there is not a soul around and all we get to do is stone, or when there is an overload of children and the whole place erupts into major chaos. The worst part of my job as a literal "spice girl" (giving out spice satchets, not singing cheap songs and wiggling my ass!) was that I had to face the infamous "ugly Singaporean" behaviour one-on-one firsthand. After battling it endlessly day after day, it never ceases to rear its ugly head over and over again in various manifestations - be it in the form of a particularly obnoxious kid, or a kiasu auntie, or unreasonable teachers. The fact that the satchets were free definitely does NOT entitle them to start snatching and pocketing everything on the table - come on, leave some for the others! Even after adding a sign saying: FOR CHILDREN AND STUDENTS ONLY, there were still many instances of greedy aunties with amazingly thick skins telling me that they were kids and students once upon a time, and hence they should be allowed to grab the spices and satchets too to bring home and cook god-knows-what. The amount of greed I was forced to witness while on job honestly disappointed me a lot - so much that I'm starting to feel embarrassed to be a Singaporean.

That aside, I met so many people and made new friends while on the job too, so I guess the good part balances out the bad part, as with everything in life. The drama academy people (from Act 3 International) were a riot to be with - often reducing us to peals after peals of mirthful laughter, what with people like Andy, Joanne and Zac around - especially Zac with his hyperactively crazy behaviour! He is one really bizarre guy, so quick-thinking that my mind has to perpetually sprint after his if I want to catch up in the conversation as his brain seems to leap from one topic to another in rapid succession, it leaves my poor little one struggling and panting helplessly behind.

There's only about one more month before school officially starts for me - so I guess it's back to hitting the slacking sack for me for the next few weeks!