girl

dalena | 25 | counting fancies
fmps/rgps/nygh/rjc/smu (biz)
a dancer with mosaic
working at the learning lab
4th feb 1986
dalena@gmail.com
clearing out her wardrobe


wordplay

adeline
amanda
amelia
beatrice
boons
chiew
colin
cordelia
daphne
eileen
eric & serene
felicia
gillian
haihan
jamie
jayne
jianfu
jill
joanne claire
marc
mark
miche
qiqi
sam
sheila
shuwen
sze
weiming
winnie heng
winnie png
yaxin
yvonne

destinations

desktop tower defence
dollmaker
gssq
go fug yourself
hollyjean
kenny sia
mr brown
oh no they didn't
orisinal
photohunt
pink is the new blog
postsecret
the butterfly tales
the superficial
tomorrow.sg
xiaxue

history



tagboard

credits

layout: detonatedlove♥
pictures: ohhspontaneityy
stocks: _excentric_
hits:


Sunday, December 17, 2006
11:26 pm

MoS salsa mistake.


The last few days have whizzed by in a blur - and yet another week of the holidays is gone. This has been the only supposedly free week I'll be having in the whole month (read: no work scheduled) and now that it's gone, it's time to prepare my feet for more rounds of standing around in heels for insanely long hours.

This week, I have accomplished a lot - though not all particularly productive. I have: danced surprisingly little, mourned over the release of my grades, read a hell lot of books, learnt how to play poker (courtesy of dear Kairen and co), watched people suffer, turned my sleeping/waking hours absolutely upside down, caught some movies, planned my work and play schedule for the next two weeks, prepared myself for the worst to come, get entertained by the world, and the list goes on.

Thursday night was spent at MoS once again - for the Singapore salsa congress (yes, round #2) organized by Xenbar this time around. It is the only night (and I suspect, the biggest night) of the entire event that I have bothered attending, and from my possibly limited perspective - it reflected the quality of the whole event.




Let's have a rare moment of honesty here on this blog, which has become so public I can hardly be as frank and forward as often as I want to - but really, the MoS event sucked. From everything I've heard, the J&J salsa festival held in October was a lot better than this - and I am thankful that I hadn't wasted my time or money on the congress this time.

I do understand that it is not an easy job to organize and coordinate such an enormous event, but really, if you aren't capable of handling it, maybe it is better to just set things aside and not try to bite off more than you can chew. It just ends up becoming an embarrassment not only for yourself, but also for your studio, your students, and by default, the rest of Singapore. Being such a small country, it is logical that our scene isn't all that huge, and by splitting everybody up with politics and whatnot, the result is...tragic.

I wish that J&J and Xenbar could have cooperated to organize one whopping huge and exciting salsa congress, instead of going their separate ways. The politics of the scene irks me sometimes, but it probably isn't my place to comment very much on it, is it?

Nevertheless, I still maintain that MoS on Thursday night was really no fun. The floor was dirty, dusty and disgusting (yay for alliteration!), many of the competing teams were embarrassingly and painfully bad, the nature of the competition laughable, the emcee extremely annoying to say the least, and I could go on and on forever but I'll stop here before I get stoned. At least the music was semi-decent, that I can give you.

And at least I had fun taking photos. It saved an otherwise terrible night that unfailingly set me in a cranky mood that I couldn't be persuaded out of.

Labels: