girl

dalena | 25 | counting fancies
fmps/rgps/nygh/rjc/smu (biz)
a dancer with mosaic
working at the learning lab
4th feb 1986
dalena@gmail.com
clearing out her wardrobe


wordplay

adeline
amanda
amelia
beatrice
boons
chiew
colin
cordelia
daphne
eileen
eric & serene
felicia
gillian
haihan
jamie
jayne
jianfu
jill
joanne claire
marc
mark
miche
qiqi
sam
sheila
shuwen
sze
weiming
winnie heng
winnie png
yaxin
yvonne

destinations

desktop tower defence
dollmaker
gssq
go fug yourself
hollyjean
kenny sia
mr brown
oh no they didn't
orisinal
photohunt
pink is the new blog
postsecret
the butterfly tales
the superficial
tomorrow.sg
xiaxue

history



tagboard

credits

layout: detonatedlove♥
pictures: ohhspontaneityy
stocks: _excentric_
hits:


Saturday, August 18, 2007
4:52 pm

buried in the rain.




Dusty the dwarf hamster, 08/05/05-18/08/07.

I woke up to the sad news that my brother's hamster had passed away this morning. We buried him before lunch - three kids armed with nothing but a plastic shovel and a couple of big stones to dig a little grave for a little hamster. It was raining (a fitting weather for a burial) and the whole scene would probably strike someone else from the outside as ironic, even funny. Digging a grave for a hamster in the rain.

As ludicrous as it may sound, it was still very sad.

It's been about 2.5 years since Dusty first arrived - I still remember that we'd officially adopted him on Mother's Day in 2005. My sister's friend's hamster was giving birth nonstop and she desperately needed homes for the little hamsterlings, and so Janson chose one, and named him Dusty because of the dust-grey fur that covered his little body.

As my brother's first pet, I suppose that Dusty had taught him a lot - about responsibility, about care, and now, about death and loss. Of course, he is quite upset about his hamster's death. My sister and I found a makeshift coffin (a cardboard box that used to contain my moisturiser) and line it with newspapers for the dead hamster. Janson was tearing while transferring the body from the cage to the box, and at that point, my heart wrenched ever so slightly, my throat suddenly constricted, and some tears suddenly welled up in the corners of my eyes, unbidden. It was irrational, since Dusty never did belong to me - but though he was my brother's in name, he really was all of ours - one of the 5 rodents in the many cages that line our living room hallway.

Now, we're missing one cage. Missing one pet. Missing one little pair of eyes to look out beseechingly at us, begging for food. It somehow looks a little emptier, and a little wrong.

I'm sorry that Dusty's gone, but he'd led a long, good and pampered life for a hamster, and I guess that's all that's important.

Labels: